Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is seeking a teaching artist contractor to join us (approximately 20 hours/week). The teaching artist will co-facilitate 2-3 book clubs weekly at Youth Services Center, DC Jail, and Correctional Treatment Facility, and will work closely with the Book Club Manager and Lead Facilitator.
- Read assigned books and assist with curriculum development (guided meditations, group warm-up games, discussion questions and writing prompts for each session)
- Attend and co-facilitate 90-minute book club sessions inside of facilities*
- Provide a brief written report of each book club session
- Complete online evaluation checklist after each book club session
- Type all poems/written assignments
- Assist with ordering and delivering books to members
- Identify appropriate titles for individual members’ needs as well as potential titles to include on ballots for each book club
The ideal candidate will:
- Be an avid reader and writer
- Have facilitation and/or teaching experience
- Have demonstrated interest/experience with incarcerated populations
Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. We value representation and encourage BIPOC, LGTBQ+, and candidates from communities that have been disproportionately impacted by mass incarceration to apply.
Likely schedule will be every Monday, from 5 – 7:30 PM, and alternating Thursdays from 11AM – 2:30PM.
*The hired individual must attend the DC Department of Corrections’ annual 8-hour volunteer training session to acquire requisite certification.
Individual must get the COVID-19 vaccine and any necessary boosters.
Compensation range: $30/hour
To apply for this position: Please send your resume, cover letter, and a sample session plan (including book discussion questions and a related writing prompt) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: October 1, 2021 or until filled
** We are no longer accepting new applications **
About Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop
Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is a DC-based nonprofit that works with incarcerated and formerly incarcerated youths and adults, using the literary arts, workforce development, trauma healing, and advocacy to create personal and societal change. Free Minds has reached over 1,500 youths and adults through our continuum of services. For more information, visit our website at https://freemindsbookclub.org.